Using chosen still objects, create a self portrait, or the portrait of an inspirational character (from the Bible, novel, movie…?), with out using an image of the person.
This project is to focus on two things:
- Well observed objects with a focus on color observation
- Creating visual depth within the shallow space.
Remember to include a color card or high chroma piece of paper to create a color in the cast shadows and reflected light area of at least one of your objects.
Draw the objects at roughly life size. The drawing should be 8×11.5 – 12×16 -ish but no larger. The composition does not have to be rectangular.
Here are a list of some of the visual tools that can used to create depth.
- Perspective (Objects & Shadows)
- Shadow Edges
- Overlapping Shapes
- High Chroma vs. Lower Chroma
- Higher Contrast Forward, Lower Contrast Behind (value of the objects)
- High Contrast, Low Contrast (Objects against the background.
- Hard Edges vs. Soft Edges
- Density of Visual Information
Media- Use Color Pencils, though you can use a normal pencil to sketch out the composition.
Artists to look at.